Movie and TV Reviews


I've decided to take on a blog to review any movies and/or television shows I'm watching. I'm going to post my review and then score it on one of a couple of recommendations:

Trash Can: Don't waste your time
Skip It: If you can avoid it, do so
Rental: It's alright, worth a watch
Own It: Good for the movie collection
Essential Collection: Don't miss it

Thursday, August 30, 2012

The Rescuers Down Under

***SPOILERS AHEAD***

Comparing this film to it's original 1977 predecessor is like Christmas morning for kids.  "The Rescuers" represents gifts that are clothes while "The Rescuers Down Under" represents all the toys that the child asked for.  You need the clothes because they are necessary but while opening all the clothes all you do is look forward to opening up the toys.  "The Rescuers" was boring but important as it introduced us to Bianca, Bernard and Wibur.  However, the characters were put into full effect with this sequel.

The first five minutes of this film were better than the whole preceding film.  I genuinely loved every minute of this film.  Even the resident villain, McLeach, was a much better villain than Madame Medusa ever was.  I'm also going to take a moment out and mention the scenery, it was stunning.  Which leads me to the importance of this film to the Disney Animated Feature canon.  Not only is it the first fully-animated sequel in the canon, the only other 2 are "Fantasia 2000" and "Winnie the Pooh," but it was the first Disney animated feature to make use of the new digital technology.  For those of you who are unaware of the digital process in animation the process takes the hand drawn characters and background and scans them into the computer.  When in the computer the animators add color.  That is why every animated film since this one, has crisper, brighter colors.

This being the first time I have watched this film, I feel as though it's a welcome addition to my Disney collection and I look forward to seeing it again sometime in the future.  Although Joanna annoyed me at times, it still highly deserves my recommendation to own it.

No comments:

Post a Comment