Movie and TV Reviews


I've decided to take on a blog to review any movies and/or television shows I'm watching. I'm going to post my review and then score it on one of a couple of recommendations:

Trash Can: Don't waste your time
Skip It: If you can avoid it, do so
Rental: It's alright, worth a watch
Own It: Good for the movie collection
Essential Collection: Don't miss it

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Bambi II

***SPOILER ALERT***

Disney has become known for it's crappy direct-to-video sequels.  "Bambi II" was one of the sequels released during that time, however it is nowhere near as crappy as the others.  In matter of fact, I would venture to say this one far surpasses the original.

I was never a big "Bambi" fan.  Having grown-up many decades after it's release it's emotional range was a lot softer than other films I grew up with.  It bothered me that the film had skipped over Bambi's emotions toward his mother's death.  Enter "Bambi II."  This film takes place right after Bambi's mom dies and continues through to Spring. 

I appreciate that the film is really a story about how Bambi grieved and what was to become of him.  At first his father was reluctant to look after him being the Prince and all.  He felt that a Prince doesn't take care of children.  However, he agreed to take care of Bambi for the winter.  The movie turned into one about both a father mentoring his son and a Prince mentoring his heir.

Several times during the film Bambi asked his father about his mother to which his dad replied that a prince leaves the past behind him.  I felt that really made way for the first movie when his mother wasn't mentioned much after her death.

The musical score and scenery were beautiful. I felt a lot of effort was put into making this film and I was really impressed.  Even though this film isn't as great as the Disney Renaissance films of the 90's I really felt this film was in league with some of Disney's other great films and therefore recommend you own it.

No comments:

Post a Comment