Movie and TV Reviews


I've decided to take on a blog to review any movies and/or television shows I'm watching. I'm going to post my review and then score it on one of a couple of recommendations:

Trash Can: Don't waste your time
Skip It: If you can avoid it, do so
Rental: It's alright, worth a watch
Own It: Good for the movie collection
Essential Collection: Don't miss it

Saturday, August 25, 2012

Pocahontas II: Journey To A New World

***SPOILER ALERT***

"Pocahontas" was a very powerful film when it was originally released in the mid 90's.  The film achieved a lot of critical praise and kept the steamroller that was the Disney Renaissance rolling.  After a lot of boredom, Disney pushed out many direct-to-video 'cheapquels.'  "Pocahontas II: Journey To A New World" is one of those unfortunate disasters.

Whereas it's not as bad as some of the others it's just down right boring.  That's my major problem.  I spent most of the film watching the time code on my Blu-Ray player tick as I waited for it to hit 1:13:00, the length of the movie.

The movie also felt weird.  It brought Pocahontas to London to meet King James.  Unbeknownst to her at the time, the king was launching an armada to reclaim Jamestown and scare the 'savages' away.  After refusing to meet Pocahontas, the king agreed that if she can present herself in a civilized manner at an upcoming dinner, he would call off the armada.  Let's be real here.  What kind of king would make a military decision based on how someone acts at a dinner?  In the end he calls of the armada because Governor Ratcliffe was a liar.  Weak.

The film has some dignity but not too much.  If the film could have kept my attention it could have been good.  To be honest with you, I'd watch this again before the horrible film that was "Home On the Range."  In the end, I'm just going to recommend that you Skip It.

No comments:

Post a Comment