Movie and TV Reviews


I've decided to take on a blog to review any movies and/or television shows I'm watching. I'm going to post my review and then score it on one of a couple of recommendations:

Trash Can: Don't waste your time
Skip It: If you can avoid it, do so
Rental: It's alright, worth a watch
Own It: Good for the movie collection
Essential Collection: Don't miss it

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Jaws 3

***SPOILER ALERT***

The "Jaws" film series is known for getting progressively worse and boy did the studio step in it with "Jaws 3."  Originally released as a 3D film, it was clear to me that the film was made to setup gimmicks to utilize the effects.  However, with home media not able to carry the 3D transfer, the film went from "Jaws 3D" to just "Jaws 3."  The special effects definitely show signs of the failed technology and as such we have a failed movie.

The plot alone is pathetic.  How on earth did the idea of bringing a great white shark into Sea World ever come to fruition from Universal Studios.  The idea is silly and full of propaganda.  Advertising Sea World is the only reason why I think the film brought this idea forth.  Of course I don't know why Sea World would want a film about a killer shark terrorizing their theme park because it would do nothing to help the park.

This film also brought about a baby shark that was held in captivity.  If there was anything I appreciated about this film it was it's scientific accuracy.  Sharks are afraid of dolphins and the reason there are no great white's in captivity is because they die when traumatized.

The special effects are just outright wrong.  I can't imagine what was going through the director's head.  The ending had a still shark (AKA not moving) approaching the control room and fake glass shattering around it.  It was sad, really sad.  The special effects people need to go back to film school.

Even though this isn't, surprising, the worst of the "Jaws" films, it definitely is a far cry from the awesomeness of the first one.  My recommendation is to simply Skip It.  I'm also going to advise you to quit while you're ahead because this film's successor is a doozy.

No comments:

Post a Comment