Movie and TV Reviews


I've decided to take on a blog to review any movies and/or television shows I'm watching. I'm going to post my review and then score it on one of a couple of recommendations:

Trash Can: Don't waste your time
Skip It: If you can avoid it, do so
Rental: It's alright, worth a watch
Own It: Good for the movie collection
Essential Collection: Don't miss it

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Titanic

***SPOILER ALERT***

In 1997, James Cameron brought us what I feel is the last "event movie" since the ease and accessibility of the internet.  I remember droves of people waiting in long lines for months on end to see this film.  I even remember people saying they were going to see it multiple times.  After all, why not?  "Titanic" is one of the finest films cinema has delivered to us in the past quarter century.

The story was told by one Rose Calvert (Dawson, Dewitt-Bukater, or any other last name she couldn't decide to keep) as she reminisced on her voyage on Titanic in her youth.  Now over 100 years old, she finally feels she can tell her story.  Considering she'd been married and had a family I'm surprised she never told her husband about Jack.  Even telling her husband about Cal Hockley would lead to Jack.  As one of the people listening to Rose's story said, "She's a very old God damned liar."  As the only way she could omit Jack's story is by lying to her husband.  But that's all technical information we're supposed to ignore.

The first half of the film does an amazing job at developing Rose and Jack's "Romeo and Juliet" style romance.  Rose from the upper class, Jack from the lower case.  Of course add the pending disaster to it and all you can think about is how this romance is doomed for disaster.  As well as many tears from the audience watching.

Despite it's error in story telling, "Titanic" is an amazing cinematic achievement that I can't help but revisit at least once annually.  I've learned that the heart of this film puts people into one of two categories, those who love "Titanic" and those who are in denial about loving "Titanic."

I turn to mush every time I watch this film pretty much due to the ending sequence when the old lady dies and you see through pictures that she lived a long and happy life.  Then when she passes away and there's a montage of her meeting Jack at the clock on the "Titanic," I can't help but become an emotional sap.

In many ways I can sit here telling you the rights and wrongs of "Titanic" but that doesn't keep this film from being a complete masterpiece.  There's no way this film could get a recommendation other than that of the Essential Collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment