Movie and TV Reviews


I've decided to take on a blog to review any movies and/or television shows I'm watching. I'm going to post my review and then score it on one of a couple of recommendations:

Trash Can: Don't waste your time
Skip It: If you can avoid it, do so
Rental: It's alright, worth a watch
Own It: Good for the movie collection
Essential Collection: Don't miss it

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Battleship

***SPOILER ALERT***

"Boom."

That was the sound made when "Battleship" bombed at the box office back in May.  Since then I anticipated seeing this film hoping that I would be one of the people who didn't hate this movie.  Of course I didn't hate it, but I didn't really like it either.

I believe there are a lot of people that could be at fault for the failure of this movie.  First are the writers for their failure at writing a cohesive plot that made any sense.  There was an awkward time jump after the title sequence that left out material I felt would have helped the story had it stayed in.  In fact, my biggest complaint was the very beginning.  I think they should have cut that out and stuck to the story of Alex Hooper after he joined the Navy.  I was totally confused when we jumped from this guy, with long hair, and no regard for the law, trying to impress a girl and not wanting to be in the Navy.  Then the film just jumped to Alex being deep in a romance with said girl, a high and tight haircut and being an Officer in the Navy.  It didn't sit well.

I blame the director for the poor comedic timing.  Most of the humor, especially toward the beginning was out of place and just fell flat on me.  There was a blonde kid, played by Jesse Plemons, that had some really awkward comedic moments with Rihanna.  He just came across as a punk.

Lastly, I blame Universal Studios for sheer lack of time to make this movie.  I felt if more time was spent on this film that it could have been a much better film.  I saw a lot of potential in this movie, but just like Alex Hooper, the studio was unaware of it's potential and just slacked off.  If this film was released a year later, I felt it could have been a great film.  After all, most of the world's greatest films took a long time to make.  At several points I felt like this film strived to be something deeper and I wish that it had obtained that depth because it would have been great.  I can't help but feel this was a film that would've been held better in the hands of Jerry Bruckheimer or Michael Bay.

"Battleship" wasn't all bad though.  The special effects were really good.  In ways I feel that if as much time and money that were spent on the special effects had been spent on the plot we could have had a really good film.  It's just such a shame thinking of how good "Battleship" could have been if only it would have come together a little better.  If you're in a social situation and want to show off some really good high definition, this film is a great option and you can watch it without having to pay too much attention to it.  If it's depth you're looking for my recommendation is to skip it because Universal Studios, you sunk your "Battleship." 

No comments:

Post a Comment