Movie and TV Reviews


I've decided to take on a blog to review any movies and/or television shows I'm watching. I'm going to post my review and then score it on one of a couple of recommendations:

Trash Can: Don't waste your time
Skip It: If you can avoid it, do so
Rental: It's alright, worth a watch
Own It: Good for the movie collection
Essential Collection: Don't miss it

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Spider-Man

***SPOILER ALERT***

I recently decided to take the opportunity to rewatch the Spider-Man trilogy. The other night I watched the original film, "Spider-Man." Now a decade old, watching this movie had me reminiscing about the origin of the modern comic book movie. "Spider-Man," from what I remember was the first of the new wave of comic book movies. I remember sitting in the theater and being wowed at the visuals and the storyline. Up until then a good comic book movie had been few and far between, nowadays there are usually around 4 that release a year.

On the downside, comic book movies have come a long way, most becoming 'grittier' that this film has become more and more of a popcorn flick. Tobey Maguire as Peter Parker and Kirsten Dunst as Mary Jane Watson are also not my favorite picks for those roles. I always found MJ's hair color irritating because I feel it's obvious that it is colored for the role. I've never been a Green Goblin fan and I don't change my position with this film. I feel the costume is shotty. I don't like the helmet. The Goblin I knew actually had a goblin-like face.

Looking at the positives, I loved the actress that portrayed Aunt May. I believe she really captured the role and brought the 'naivete' to the ways of the world that I believe this character should have. The whole 'with great power comes great responsibility' mantra is a powerful one. It had me thinking about ways I would use power like that. Uncle Ben's character is definitely an integral character to the mythology of Spider-Man and that character was portrayed accurately in this film.  I'm a big fan of the costume design of the Spider-Man outfit. I believe it is cinematically pleasing and I enjoy just looking at it.

I still find this film to be a great casual watch, but at the end of the day my recommendation is to own it.

No comments:

Post a Comment