Movie and TV Reviews


I've decided to take on a blog to review any movies and/or television shows I'm watching. I'm going to post my review and then score it on one of a couple of recommendations:

Trash Can: Don't waste your time
Skip It: If you can avoid it, do so
Rental: It's alright, worth a watch
Own It: Good for the movie collection
Essential Collection: Don't miss it

Friday, June 22, 2012

Apollo 18

***SPOILER ALERT***

'Apollo 18' is one of many, many found footage films that have come to be since the success of 'The Blair Witch Project' over a decade ago.  In general, I find most of them to be pretty good.  When compared to the others in it's genre, this one lacks a little.

This particular film takes place shortly after Apollo 17 several decades ago.  The film tries to play this off as a mission that NASA didn't want us to know about.  However, I feel there's no way that NASA could launch a space shuttle without Americans knowing about it because they make a lot of loud noise.  If there was an Apollo 18 I'm sure the government would have told us about it but made a cover story to hide what they were really doing.

I found the aliens to be awkward at best, they were moon rocks.  At certain points the rocks turn into these crab-like creatures that make people go crazy.  I thought it was creative but silly at the same time.

During the mission, the two astronauts encounter a Russian space vehicle as well as a dead Russian cosmonaut by a crater.  Of course, one of the astronauts is curious so he goes to discover the crater causing the whole alien rocks attack to start.

My problem, I just didn't buy into the idea.  I couldn't get myself to believe that this could have possibly happened.  At the end when they told us that some of these rocks were returned to earth and were now missing I understood the idea but found it silly.  It was supposed to be a horror film of sorts but I was never scared.  I never even jumped.

The film is entertaining though.  The development of the astronaut's importance to his family and the heartbreak I felt when I learned he was expendable and NASA wouldn't allow him to return to earth to his family was done well.  I don't know if there is this kind of corruption in the government but if there is it's harsh.  I don't find anyone expendable.

This film is a good watch.  My recommendation is to rent it.

No comments:

Post a Comment