Movie and TV Reviews


I've decided to take on a blog to review any movies and/or television shows I'm watching. I'm going to post my review and then score it on one of a couple of recommendations:

Trash Can: Don't waste your time
Skip It: If you can avoid it, do so
Rental: It's alright, worth a watch
Own It: Good for the movie collection
Essential Collection: Don't miss it

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Spider-Man 2

***SPOILER ALERT***

After the success of the first film, a sequel to "Spider-Man" was in very high demand.  The internet was buzzing on plot details and all.  The villain of choice, Doctor Octopus, one of Spider-Man's biggest adversaries, created an even bigger anticipation and raised expectation high, but not high enough as audiences all across the country watched and were amazed at what is now described as a 'perfect comic book movie.'  I both agree and disagree with that title.

'Spider-Man 2' finds Peter Parker two years after the events of the first film, his life is in ruins.  He's failing classes, missing rent payments and even getting fired from his job.  All the while, Oscorp and Dr. Otto Octavius are creating a fusion reactor that would eventually turn Otto into Dr. Octopus.

I found this film to be incredibly deep and it created a new emotional demand for movies of it's genre.  Popcorn action wasn't enough anymore.  Going through the struggle with Peter as he tried to straighten his life out really got me involved in his welfare and I cared about him and wanted him to get his life back on track.

The strongest element of this film, in my opinion, are Doctor Octopus's arms.  The writer's crafted the arms as their own entity.  They thought on their own accord and, at a certain point, began controlling Otto.

With all the praise  'Spider-Man 2' received I had two major issues with it.  The first was the cameo appearances.  The cameos were too many and they were all corny.  All those cameo appearances also greatly affected my second issue which was the humor.  It all fell flat on me.  There was a lengthy talk between Spider-Man and Hal Sparks in an elevator that just seemed overkill.  The only character that I felt needed to be eccentric was J. Jonah Jameson.  All the other cameos even interrupted the flow for me.

If you're in the mood to see a movie that revolutionized it's genre and help make comic book movies what they are today, "Spider-Man 2" is a must see.  For me, the humor distracted me so much that I'm on the border with my recommendation.  But I will say own it even though I want to give it a lesser recommendation.  After all, it is better than the first.

No comments:

Post a Comment